Veteran Benefits and Veteran Dependent Benefits are available to qualified veterans and children of deceased and 100% disabled veterans. Initial application is made by completing a VA application and providing a copy of Form DD214. Applications: Regular G.I.® and Dependents/ Spouse of Veteran or in the Office of Student Financial Aid and Veteran Services. Recipients of veteran benefits may still qualify for other financial aid assistance, and are encouraged to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Students attending on the G.I. Bill® are required to pay all fees as regular students because they are paid benefits directly through the Veteran's Administration. VA benefit applicants should make financial preparation for at least one term to allow for application processing time.
The Dalton State Veteran's Enrollment Certification is required each term. VA students who withdraw, increase or reduce academic load during a term must report this action promptly to the VA Certification Official in the Office of Student Financial Aid and Veteran Services.
Only classes required in the student's program of study qualify for VA Benefits. Courses taken for audit are not certifiable for VA benefits. The only physical education courses certifiable for VA benefits are Health and Wellness Concepts (PHED 1030) and First Aid/CPR and Cardiovascular Fitness (PHED 1005). VA benefit recipients must maintain Dalton State College academic performance standards, as outlined in the DSC catalog. Since VA regulations are subject to change, it is the student's responsibility to keep up to date on requirements for VA benefits while attending Dalton State College.
Veterans who meet the following qualifications may qualify for a waiver of their student activity and technology fees:
- Georgia residents who are active members of the Georgia National Guard or the Reserves; and
- Served in a combat zone for at least 181 consecutive days since September 11, 2001; or
- Received full disability as a result of injuries suffered in combat during that time; or
- Were evacuated from a combat zone due to severe injuries suffered during any time while on active duty.
If you qualify for the fee waiver, contact Katrina Autry by email or by phone at (706) 272-4545. Confirm that an updated DD214 is on file which confirms your eligibility for the fee waiver. The documentation will be forwarded to Enrollment Services Offices to initiate the waiver of your student activity and technology fees at Dalton State.
- The Georgia HERO Scholarship: is available to qualified Georgia Reserves and National Guard combat veterans.
- American Patriot Freedom Scholarship: Open to children of active duty or veterans
- VFW Military Scholarships: VFW members either current military or veteran. Apply within 36 months of discharge.
- Scholarships for each military branch: Family, Reservists, Veterans
- Military Dependents: Scholarships for high school graduates going into two-year degree programs. Requirements include household Adjusted Gross Income of $50,000 or less, Community Activities, 2.0 minimum GPA, demonstrated integrity, the ability to overcome adversity. High school seniors can apply for 2010 on 08/01/2009.
- www.military.com/money-for-school/scholarships: Look for scholarships for veterans and their dependents.