Personal training involves a personal trainer designing a workout specific to your goals and going through this workout with you. Typically, personal training is a continuous process (multiple sessions) to keep you progressing with your workouts in order to achieve your goal or goals. However, for some, a training session when needed can be beneficial.
Who can benefit from personal training?
- A person who is new to working out.
- A person who needs structure to their workouts.
- A person who has very specific goals such as preparing for a road race, competition, etc.
- A person who has injuries present or past or health issues that require a specific type of workout.
- A person who has experience in working out, is comfortable with machines and free weights, but either has been away from working out or is needing a change to their current workout.
- A person ready to experiment with different workout routines and equipment.
Do you need a Doctor's Release before beginning personal training?
Yes, if you meet 2 or more of the following, a doctor's release will be required before a personal training or orientation appointment can be set. This is recommend by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) before engaging in vigorous exercise:
- You're a man older than age 45 or a woman older than age 55.
- You have a family history of heart disease before age 55.
- You smoke or you quit smoking in the past six months.
- You haven't exercised for three months or more.
- You're overweight or obese.
- You have high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
- You have impaired glucose tolerance, also called pre-diabetes.
If you are unsure of your health status, have multiple health problems or are pregnant, speak with your doctor before starting a new exercise program. A doctor's release is required for pregnant women.
How do I schedule an appointment for personal training?
- Pick-up a personal training packet at the fitness center desk in Bandy Gym.
Name: Anne Loughren, M.S. AFAA-CPT
Department of Health and Wellness
Assistant Director of Fitness
DSC Personal Trainer
Location: Bandy Gymnasium
Fitness Center Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 7 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Friday: 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Sunday: 4 - 8 p.m.
*When classes are not in session, hours will be adjusted accordingly.